Student Workbook 135 Pages
Focus on Reading Strategies
Create skilled, strategic, successful readers!
- Directly teaches the active reading strategies research, has shown most actively improve reading comprehension
- Direct instruction and practice of essential active reading strategies through text-dependent questions and tasks
- Practice of reading comprehension skills
- Development of vocabulary strategies
- High-interest fiction and informational selections span a wide range of genres and topics
- A variety of before, during, and after reading activities address multiple learning styles
- Review lessons allow students to practice new skills and strategies
- Listening lessons develop listening comprehension skills
- Writing activities and review lessons assess progress
Each lesson has six consistent sections that guide learning:
1. Before Reading: Heads Up
Students access prior knowledge to provide a framework for deeper textual understanding.
2. During Reading: Think-Along Questions
Readers interact with the text through questioning, predicting, and making connections.
3. After Reading: Make Sense of Words
Vocabulary Strategies build vocabulary and provide tools for independent reading.
4. After Reading: Read with Understanding
Multiple-choice questions, similar to those on state and national tests, provide practice for the targeted skill.
5. After Reading: Understand by Seeing It
Students use visual mapping strategies with a variety of graphic organizers.
6. After Reading: Write to Learn
Students demonstrate mastery of comprehension skills and reading strategies through writing activities.